Saturday, October 22, 2005

Happiness

I have a new definition for happiness.

Happiness, for me, is having the freedom to pursue your dreams, and the capacity to make SOME of those dreams come true. The key, though, is in not knowing which of those you will get to achieve. ;)

I think the problem with most people's definition of happiness is that it is often static, some kind of fixed, unmoving ideal or goal (i.e. a big house, a Porsche, etc.).

Once you get that, what else would you be able to get to be happy? This is probably why we hear so many stories of ultra-rich people being so unhappy. When you already have the entire world at your feet, and you can get anything you want... what's the point in getting it? There's no more thrill to life.

Dreams, on the other hand, offer us a glimpse into the realms of our highest aspirations... the ones that touch our soul. No matter how much we have, we always dream of having more. I would like to be able to fulfill only some of my dreams... so that I will always learn to appreciate the things that I can have, and I will always have some additional purpose to my life... to live so that I can continue to yearn for something more.

After all, if I get everything I could ever want, what's the point of living any more? :)

No comments: