Friday, October 07, 2005

What my shadows call home

i have waited a lonely lifetime
for a soul to call mine
and i wait even longer still
even now, as my sigh leaves an aching chill
inside the myriad of empty lights
that fill
what my shadows call home.
and when those passing thoughts
no longer whisk fleeting by
and instead cling to a heart-shaped tear
shaping inside my mind's crying eye
i shake, in sullen sorrow, in hopeless pain
at the insistence of memories
as pounding as the pouring rain
that always seem to come, even as i
try to find my once-promised summer sky.
i kneel before my silent altar
upon which my supplications spill
only to overflow onto a once antiseptic floor
dirtied more by a remembrance of
what i once, in naivete, had before
and which gazes back, as still
as the pale, lazy, inconstant star
i had once pinned my hopes upon
and which continues to sullenly shine,
mocking, an unsympathetic witness... forevermore.

No comments: