Monday, February 06, 2006

Updates

I finally feel like I'm settled in to Korean life (and the ghastly weather), and I suppose I should start updating my blog (thanks to a little nudge from a dear friend...).

What's happened so far:

1) I arrived in Korea late on January the 20th. The "apartment" I was hooked up with resembled a slightly expanded phone booth... and I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Needless to say, I am sorely disappointed. The hunt for a new apartment begins, even as I still try to figure out where I'm working and what my schedule will be like;

2) I get a cellphone (with the help of a dear friend), and select an apartment in a very pricey neighborhood. I figure I might as well save money by eating in (I can cook, after all) instead of by scrimping on my accommodations. It's my one big "luxury" here in Seoul, after all. I am VERY happy with the place, even though it's about 40% of the size of my old apartment in Bangkok, and about 3 times the price; in the meantime...

3) I start working at this language institute in Seoul (called a "Hakwon"), and begin to teach middle-school kids some debating. The kids are all cool, and I'm enjoying my classes, as well as the camaraderie I feel in the institute;

4) I apply to the top foreign language high school in Korea. I am up against a number of Ivy League grads, so I'm not holding my hopes up (decision to come by this week);

5) I start cooking for myself again. More than at any other point in my life. I mean, I can cook, but I have never actually cooked 4 straight meals for myself before (as I did last week). I'm saving money while doing all this, so I guess that's a major plus. My last dinner? A special chicken dish. :) Basically, I brown some chicken breasts on a pan along with some sliced garlic, adding some soy sauce, straw mushrooms, carrots and some special seaweed, flavored with oyster sauce and extra virgin olive oil. :) Mmmmmmmm... yummy. :)

That's about it for the updates, I guess. I just got paid for my first two weeks' work (payday is the 5th of every month), but I'm saving all this money to pay for rent and other expenses. Life is generally good here in Seoul, and I'm happy I have the opportunity to live and work in this fine country. The only thing I can possibly complain about is the extreme cold. It got to as low as -13 degrees (celsius) just a few days ago. No way is this my idea of paradise. :)

Hope everyone else is doing well. :)

No comments: