Saturday, January 27, 2007

Some things in life are worth fighting for

It's been a while since I've written, partly because I've been busy, and partly because circumstances dictated that I remain silent for a bit.

Times change, however, and now I have my voice again.

This past month has seen significant changes in my life, not the least of which involves me opening a new academy in Seoul. :) I've had to overcome the usual bureaucratic red-tape and so on... and a determined enemy or two hell-bent on trying all means (mostly illegal) to try to prevent me from starting the business. Thank God for powerful friends. :)

I have been wondering, over the last few weeks, whether staying in Korea is even worth it. Even with so many people backing me up, the existence of certain types of (nasty) people, plus my less than warm reception in the land of the morning calm (at least from the average Korean citizen), made me consider whether I should spend the prime years of my life here. After all, I'm not ever going to be considered a native no matter how hard I try to assimilate into the culture. Most families won't ever consider accepting me as a son-in-law. Most people would consider me inferior.

But it's the aforementioned friends who make me stay on; that and my stubborn nature. :) I am not the type to abandon my friends in a fight, and I am certainly not the type to ever give up. Those two combined helped me to make up my mind: for now, and the foreseeable future, my fate lies somewhere in Korea (hopefully South... :).

Some things ARE worth fighting for. And when you have a country still in its debate infancy, struggling to learn what it can from whomever is willing to teach it, I would not be able to live with myself if I gave up and let certain less-qualified people take over the scene. If that means I take a bit more heat, then so be it. I've lived in Manila in the summer; I can take it. :)

So I guess this signals a new beginning for 2007. Let's see where this all goes. As for me, I've fastened my seatbelt and I'm ready for the ride.

=)

No comments: