Thursday, October 25, 2007

Which would you choose: a higher-ranked university, or one with better social connections?

Having lived in Korea for over a year now, I'm realizing just how important Koreans consider social networking in their choice of which university to attend. I know many Koreans who would rather give up their ideal school or dream career in order to attend Harvard University, even if it means taking a path they did not really want to take, all because of the name value of Harvard.

We all know that certain schools have advantages when it comes to things like networking with the wealthy in our countries, etc. I'm wondering how much of that is factored into the decision for all of you.

Basically, I'm asking this question:

"If you had to choose between a much higher ranked university according to reputable authorities or a much more socially-prestigious university (according to your own perception, as well as those of your family and friends), which one would you choose?"

And I guess another reason I'm asking is because, if I'm operating in the real world, I'd have a rankings system that took into account the power of that university's alumni network, and the average salary and corporate/professional position of its graduates. After all, of what use is an education if it doesn't get you what you want in life?

No comments: