Friday, December 16, 2005

The price of memories

I was chatting with my friend a few minutes ago. We were discussing the merits of eating in a place like Sirocco (www.thedomebkk.com), possibly the highest, open-air restaurant in the world... bloody stunning place.

I know someone who spent about US$300 for a dinner for two there, recently. It's not a cheap place, by any means. :)

My friend told me it wasn't worth it, that it was way too expensive.

My reply:

"Some memories will last forever... so they are worth paying for. I wouldn't remember eating in Jollibee (cheap burger place in the Philippines) 100 times!"

Or, as I put it to another great friend recently, "What's money for but to be enjoyed? Money was meant to be used by people to make themselves happy. If we end up getting consumed by just keeping it, instead of using it, then not only do we not enjoy the money, we don't enjoy life."

Of course, having said that, I must stress that I save a lot of my own salary. With my upcoming job, I intend to save at least 50% each month. I will, however, not turn down making life-lasting memories... ;)

No comments: