Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Go Red Devils!

I went to City Hall in Seoul to watch the World Cup match between Korea and France this past Monday morning. It was amazing to see tens of thousands (a hundred thousand? more?) of Koreans just jammed in there, at 4 a.m., cheering their guts out for their team. When Park Ji-Sung scored the equalizer in the 81st minute, I swear there was an absolutely defeaning eruption from the people in the streets, no doubt mirrored in every public place and private home in all of Korea.

This led me to a few observations of the Korean people:

1) It's amazing just how patriotic Koreans can get. I have NEVER seen a more patriotic people in my life. Ever. And I've been to five different continents;

2) I was tremendously impressed with how Koreans clean up after their own mess. Right after the match was over, thousands of Koreans (plus yours truly) started picking up the trash/litter found on the street and putting them in plastic trash bags for easy collection by the city sanitation workers. I went to City Hall about an hour or two after the game, and it was spotless! Absolutely clean. Even cleaner than Manila City Hall without any celebration. Then again, that's Manila...;

3) Football is the perfect game to get a whole nation enthralled, and Koreans prove this. It's 90 minutes (or more), with very few goal-scoring opportunities... so it builds up anticipation like no other game. Anything can happen in the final minutes (or seconds), and because there are so few goals, when one is actually scored, it gives countries an excuse to go absolutely bananas. I never really appreciated football until I lived in Thailand... but I can now understand why people LOVE the game after living in Korea;

4) Koreans, in general, are quite orderly. No massive rioting (unless you're a farmer fighting the WTO =), no major need for tear gas from the police, etc., etc. Very large aggrupations of people are not at all frightening. I know if I were stuck in the middle of a band of cheering football fanatics from... England, for instance, I would be afraid. Very afraid; and

5) The color red absolutely fits the Korean people. No doubt about it. Red is the color of passion, fire, excitement, heated emotions, anger, shouting, etc. etc... It's what Koreans are all about. :) If there's one nation on earth I could be SURE would be passionate, it would be Korea. It's not always good, as many Koreans I've met have demonstrated when angered, but it does make for great cheering sessions. :)

So, for the first time in my life, let me say... "Go Red Devils!" =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

짝짝~짝 짝짝!
대~한 민~국!!
짝짝~짝 짝짝!
대~한 민~국!!