Sunday, December 22, 2013

Zeitgeist Project: The music of my generation (1980-1985)


I believe that music is the best way to capture the zeitgeist (spirit/mindset) of an era, and with each succeeding post I will be selecting 5 songs that best captured the spirit of the years from 1980-2013 ( The years I was aware of music and popular culture. I start with 1980...


1980:

1.     Funkytown – Lipps Inc;
2.     Escape (The PiƱa Colada song) – Rupert Holmes;
3.     Coward of the County– Kenny Rogers;
4.     I Can't Tell You Why – The Eagles;
5.     She's Out of My Life – Michael Jackson;


1981:

1.     Endless Love- Diana Ross & Lionel Ritchie;
2.     Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes;
3.     Jessie's Girl – Rick Springfield;
4.     Celebration – Kool and the Gang; and
5.     The Winner Takes It All – ABBA



1982:

1.     Physical – Olivia Newton-John;
2.     Eye of the Tiger – Survivor;
3.     Don't You Want Me – The Human League;
4.     Hurts So Good – John Cougar; and
5.     Rosanna – Toto


1983:

1.     Every Breath You Take – The Police;
2.     Billie Jean – Michael Jackson;
3.     Flashdance... What a Feeling – Irene Cara;
4.     Total Eclipse of the Heart – Bonnie Tyler; and
5.     Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran


1984:

1.     Footloose – Kenny Loggins;
2.     When Doves Cry – Prince;
3.     Ghostbusters – Ray Parker, Jr.;
4.     Against All Odds – Phil Collins; and
5.     For the longest time – Billy Joel;
6.     Karma Chameleon – Culture Club


1985:

1.     Like a Virgin – Madonna;
2.     Money for nothing – Dire Straits;
3.     Wake me up before you Go-go – Wham!;
4.     Take on me – A-Ha; and

5.     We are the world – USA for Africa



No comments: